Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pain and sensory processing?

I am curious as to how many of our children with Sensory Processing issues also have either a very high threshold for pain or a very low threshold for pain. Both of my children have sensory processing issues and both handle pain differently but both seem to be in the extremes for threshold. Justin, my oldest, seems to have a very low threshold, complaining at the smallest pain and completely over-reacting to larger pains. It almost seems like everything hurts him more than others (wonder if he has inherited my fibromyalgia).

Tyler, on the other hand, has a very HIGH threshold for pain. Just today I took him to the doctors office to have wax removed from his ears and he has such bad ear infections that they couldn't even see his ear drums. The doctor was amazed that he wasn't feeling any pain. Several years ago Tyler broke his arm (both bones) and barely cried. The ER staff said he should have been screaming, especially when they did the x-rays. He didn't even cry when they did the x-rays. I wish some of that could rub off on me.

I am interested in your comments and experiences. Do you have children with sensory issues, and if so, have you noticed a greater than normal reaction to pain?

1 comment:

  1. My son has mild Aspergers and a very high pain tolerance. Exactly the same happened to him regarding an ear infection, they gave antibiotics and had him back 5 days later when they could view the ear drum. It was perforated and subsequently discovered Cholestatoma so he needs surgery. Same to with a broken arm, he went to trampolining, judo, kick boxing and finally rock climbing. It was only when he fell off the wall a couple of times, I knew he was struggling and noticed a pea sized lump... 6 weeks in plaster. hen I asked him about the pain during the week's activities, he said he'd tried not to put pressure on it but knew something wasn't right. 6 weeks in plaster not right! He says he doesn't have a high pain threshold, he's just not in pain!

    ReplyDelete